Tuesday, October 8, 2013

East of the Sun & West of the Moon






Ever since I was a little girl I have adored Kamma Svensson's fantastic illustrations of Peter Christen Asbjørnsen's Norwegian folktale "East o' the Sun and West o' the Moon". The book is old, it used to belong to my mum, and I guess she kept it for the same reasons as I. Kamma Svensson's illustrations are filled with the same mystic, folklorism and dense ambivalence as the tale itself - very beautiful and a little scary all at the same time. Look at the colours and patterns - she's so good.

More Kamma Svensson.
P. Chr. Asbjørnsen, "Østen for Sol og Vesten for Måne", Gyldendal 1959, with illustrations by Kamma Svensson.

3 comments:

  1. Tak for det fantastiske link, vidste ikke der fantes et sted at købe gamle bøger :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These illustrations are incredibly beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Please drop me a line - it makes me so happy to hear from you!

Send en lille hilsen - hvis du ikke har en blog selv, kan du vælge "Name/URL" i "Choose an identity" skrive en hilsen og klikke send -– jeg bliver så glad for at høre fra Jer!