Friday, February 4, 2011

Quilt



This beautiful quilt is from India. It is very old and very dirty. The colours are faded. I really like this quilt.

The story about it is that I got it some years ago from an Indian camel owner. He used it in the desert when his camel needed food: He put the camel food on it so that the camel did not get sand in it's mouth. I told him how beautiful and special this quilt was. Afterwards he offered it to me.

He was 25 years old, living in Rajastan, the proud owner of 1 camel, father to a crowd of children.
I was 25 years old, travelling around in India for half a year on my own, studying art history, and the mother of nothing.

When we found out these circumstances we could not help laughing. He kept asking me where my husband and my children were? The quilt keeps reminding me of this person, so far away from me in every way.

The little patchwork below was made by my mother when she was a teen. Also very old but still very appreciated.


Wonderful car patchwork from IJM - choose patch.

Quilt exhibition at American Folk Art Museum - a constant source of inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please drop me a line - it makes me so happy to hear from you!

Send en lille hilsen - hvis du ikke har en blog selv, kan du vælge "Name/URL" i "Choose an identity" skrive en hilsen og klikke send -– jeg bliver så glad for at høre fra Jer!